House sales in Scotland reach six year high but independence could affect growth

Taylor Scott International News

House sales reached a six year high in Scotland with monthly growth of 0.2% in July but slowing supply is on the horizon, according to the latest index. Over half of Scotland actually saw prices drop in July and home values are still 0.6% off the 2008 peak while sales remain 30% lower than pre-crisis levels, the LSL/Acadata index also shows. But first time buyer activity fuels new record prices in Aberdeenshire and Edinburgh and the average house price was £164,483 in July, up 5.7% from a year before. According to Richard Sexton, director of e.surv chartered surveyors, part of LSL Property Services, a favourable lending environment boosted demand over the summer. ‘There were 9,285 transactions in July, climbing 5% up from June to reach the highest monthly total since July 2008,’ he said. He believes that this propelled prices to new peaks in July in some of Scotland’s centres of employment with Aberdeenshire and Edinburgh seeing transactions soar 20% and 25% respectively over the past year. But on the other side of the coin, uncertainty is leaving its trace and squeezing supply has seen slower overall transactions growth compared to last year. ‘Higher up the chain any prospective sellers with the luxury of time are hanging on to see which way the tide turns before they put their home on the market,’ he added. However, he warned that depending on the outcome of the referendum on Scottish independence later this week, this could reverse rapidly. ‘There is a chance of a mass take-off and sale of investments, which would disrupt house prices in the short term,’ he said. ‘Scotland’s housing market recovery is still in the delicate stages of rehabilitation, and the number of completed sales in the last 12 months still only represents 70% of the average over the period 2004 to 2007. Ambiguity surrounding Scotland’s future isn’t helping. We are in the throes of the longest period of sustained monthly house price growth since February 2007, but only time will tell whether this recovery will be derailed,’ he explained. ‘A Yes vote would usher in a further 16 months of uncertainty. A Scotland outside the UK would open the floodgates to the real questions of currency, exchange rates, mortgage risk, and property taxation. Many mortgage holders could see their LTV shoot up as the implications of borrowing from a bank in a foreign country are unmasked. A No vote doesn’t guarantee clarity either but the mist of ambiguity would clear sooner,’ Sexton pointed out. ‘Whichever way the chips fall on Friday morning, two million unhappy people will wake up in a divided Scotland, with a rift carved through society. This division will not easily be overcome, and it is the job of businesses to keep calm and carry on as usual. In the aftermath of the biggest decision Scotland will ever have to make, everybody will benefit from swift answers to our questions, regardless of the final word from the ballot boxes,’ he concluded. Continue reading →

The post House sales in Scotland reach six year high but independence could affect growth appeared first on Taylor Scott International.

Taylor Scott International

Taylor Scott International, Taylor Scott

Comments are closed.